Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Summer Intern - BIG DEAL ????

P.S. A Kinda serious post

Well, the Summer placement fever has gripped IIM-Bangalore. Its that time of the year for the first year guys when they get supposedly take a step towards their final career.

Most of the shortlisting process is based on what one has achieved over his/her past life. So, looking at the kind of people I am with I think everyone deserves what they are getting. Do I hope for a shortlist - Well I certainly do but I am not going to base my life's happiness over it. Its a phase of life and thats what I am taking it as. If I am lucky, I would get one, and then it would be upto me to clear the interviews. I have seen people getting into deep depression modes (not very explicit) over the difference between their huge expectations and the meager returns. Such situations do lead to periods of self-doubt, which is faced by even the greatest of people. Your strength is defined by how well you are able to pull yourself out of it. What I would like to advise people is that such situations come and go - learn to deal with it. The most important thing is life is to be happy.

Today, I had lunch with my IT-BHU seniors in IIM-Bangalore and I heard about many successful seniors of ours who were working in most sought after companies after getting non-day zero summer interns. Its all about keeping your cool and working hard (which I think need to start doing :P). So, I believe that one can always do that and even if one does not manage to get a decent final placement, whats the big deal. Its a huge world out there with NUMEROUS opportunities. We are supposed to be the best in the country - if we want, there's nothing we cant achieve.

But one thing I dread the most is what some people tell me, that people start judging each other by the shortlists and the summers they get. I really hope that does not happen to me or my friends. I believe that a summer internship is not the way to judge a person and if a person's attitude does change due to such a reason, then maybe I would be better off without his/her company.

The 4-5 months I have spent here in IIM-Bangalore have been very memorable and I hope that the next year and a half also remains similar. I have been blessed with being in a section that is supposed to be chilled out and friendly. When I look at the other sections, I am really happy to be in Section-D (No offense to the other sections, You guys just work hard). I have been blessed to be in the company of so many good people who have become such good friends over the past few days. I hope to make more such friends in the time remaining here.

So, wishing everyone all the best for their summers. CHILL OUT and BE HAPPY
Cheers!!!!!

11 comments:

Mayank Jha said...

Phantom, you do make a lot of sense here. Everyone's bloody good here... and there's no reason to believe that shortlists make certain people any better than others.

But you don't make too much of sense when you talk of sections... even you know, Sec-C rocks!!! :P

Abhijit Raja said...

hahaha....... maybe the comparison was more with the MAGGU Sec-A and B........ and if Sec-A and B have a problem with that, I say that you live in a world of your own

Mayank Maheshwari said...

pretty true....its said that

"No school in the world can teach you how to be happy !!"

but we always tend to base our happiness on material things and start comparing with others....no matter how hard you try, this is gonna cross your mind....important thing is not getting bogged down by that......so NIRVANA comes when you take life as it comes.....and may be things which happen happen for the good......

muru said...

achievements from ur past life huh??
nice post dude...
it wud be great if u can update it after every day during summers

Abhijit Raja said...

@ muru , will definitely try to do that if we get the time to breathe :P

Unknown said...

rightly timed n perfectly apt..good work phantom!!! ppl need to realise life is much more than summers and placements:)

Aarambh said...

Thats the beauty of this place..u have amazing ppl around u, ppl u hav achieved soo much in life...lets not make summers a reason for not enjoying the experience of being at this place !!
I know its not as easily done as said but lets keep up the faith :)

Ankoor Das said...

I have just one thing to say - One is one's biggest competitor, so if you can beat it...nothing like it.
Just get joy from the fact that your friends are getting through companies. Happiness spreads when shared with all :)

angelina said...

Its early morning..and I reckon there could not have been a better time to read this post...somewhere, sometime, all of us tend to lose ourselves over issues that are ephemeral, illusive and apparently larger than life...but I guess this place helps you to just deal and learn in such times...in the company of the bestest people I have ever known...Section D rocks :D

Abhijit Raja said...

thnx for all the positive compliments....... My inspiration are all the stressed out people here :P

@Mayuri , you know you are one of them
@Das, completely agree, I think we are a few of those who have realized it
@Gazal, i know this place teaches us how to deal with it, but people here are also human and tend to make all the mstakes that I have mentioned here
@Aarambh, who are you???, just curious

King Vishy said...

Great timing dude.. Its really scary to see people losing belief in themselves within a very short span just because a few companies could not match their profiles with actual requirements.. Ppl often take "rejects" personally..

One thing almost all of us forget is - companies come to select ppl.. not to reject.. thats not their aim..

great that this post has pepped ppl up :)