Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Placements Mid-Term Review

P.S. I am not going to mention any figures or names of companies in this post

For the past two days I have witnessed such variety of emotions that it can form a plot for a soap opera - Happiness, Relief, Despair, Sadness, Disappointment, Sarcasm and what not. The first day saw frantic activity all around with people rushing for interviews left, right and center. Some obvious candidates were waiting to get picked by the top firms. Many were lucky enough to get through and many were not. I saw some very deserving people being left behind and some not so deserving people getting through. I think thats life and we should be ready to deal with it.

I think this is the time when a person's true character is revealed, not by the kind of job he/she gets, but by the way people conduct themselves both in case of failure as well as after success. This is also the time when one requires true strength of character as I feel this process teaches you to deal with failures. Some people are able to do it, some simply aren't.

This process has also shown how different minds function differently when subjected to stress. A simple thing like an offer for help from some people with job offers to others may look like a helpful one to some and a chest-beating one to the others. Although even I believe that not all the gestures are genuine but thats no reason to become overly sarcastic and look at everyone with suspicion.

I have seen people going that extra yard to help others out, maybe sometimes even working harder than the candidates. Many people have helped out in the entire process from the second day onwards. For me, I just wait for some good news to trickle in, may not be for me, may be for someone else. But thats me, I get happy for others and I think that is what defines me and that is what should define most people.

The selection procedures leave a lot to be desired. There is a lot of subjectivity in the entire process where some parameters not related to a person's ability become important. Although most people who would have gone through a placement process would understand this, I would not like to elaborate on this. Some of the processes would seem to be illogical even to the layman but they take place. As the wise people say "The Customer is always right", the firms being the customers in this case buying into recruiting the students.

Have I been a victim of the process? Not Exactly. Thinking further I would say 'Maybe and maybe not', but I take everything in my stride because if this is the way the world functions, then its upto us to learn to deal with it rather than cribbing about how the system is unfair.

I would say that it is a very tiring process, but its more about mental toughness. I am still cheerful and hopeful as always and hope to get an internship offer shortly :)

Congrats to all people with offers, Best of luck to all people to get offers over the next couple of days. Enjoy the process and remain cheerful, energetic & confident.
CHEERS!!!!!!

And a request once again to comment and encourage this novice blogger :)

4 comments:

iknalos said...

"The only place where HR still holds high in MBA" :D

King Vishy said...

"I saw some very deserving people being left behind and some not so deserving people getting through"

This will make everyone think u are referring to him/her (for one of the two) :D

Abhijit Raja said...

@Vishwa - I still stand by my comments...... people can make their inferences.........
ahhhhhhh, and cynical is another word i was looking for, didnt strike my mind while writing :)

Shreya said...

good one, abhu!