Saturday, October 25, 2008

Life in a MBA!!!!

After all the hoopla surrounding my last blog post (mainly due to the Papparazzi here :P), I am finally onto writing my next blog.

First, let me clarify one thing, this is not a crib post. I know that management is a path I have chosen, so I would have to accept the downside as I would love to enjoy the benefits.

Over the past few weeks, I have realized that how a hectic lifestyle feels like. After having some great professors in the last trimester, I have felt the wrath of "oh-not-so-good" professors with the first CorpFin prof being an exception. Whats worse is the fact they are more strict. so, along with the hectic life, we have to be prepared for every week submissions and any time quizzes (so no bunks too).

Then there are the company presentations where the companies blabber about themselves for 30 mins to an hour (and I have realized that every company is the best place to work in) followed by the same set of questions asked by the junta:
1. What are the locations you are recruiting for?
2. How well can you move across functions/divisions?
3. How is the financial crisis affecting your company?
4. What do you look for in a candidate?
5. What are your future plans for India?
I think due to visiting the campuses, the companies must now have a pretty much mugged-up answer for each of these questions.

So here's a typical day for me:
Morning - Wakeup and go to class
Afternoon - Fill up some SOP to be submitted by the evening
Evening - Attend the PPTs
Nights - Fill up the forms and apply for companies

The most important takeaways from the last month.
1. I have realized that, even if I am woken up from my sleep, I can get into formals within 5 minutes and be ready for a presentation.
2. Even if I am woken up from sleep, I can put in a question to the people presenting (doesn't matter if I have no idea what it is about - its all GLOBE)
3. I can answer the forms with all the globe questions in 5-10 minutes.

Now, I have started enjoying being so busy in my life. I think now what will I do with all the free time I'll get after the summers process is over. It would be like a giant hole in my calender.

Wearing those formals for the PPTs and the presentations gives you a feeling that you are going to do something important. The companies make us realize that we all have the potential to be the important people of tomorrow, shaping the organizations future. Why else would a top global firm spend so much of money to fly down people from around the globe just to speak to a handful of students not even 6 months into their MBA program. It is because they realize the potential of India's best.

P.S. To all my friends doing MBA, Chill out guys, enjoy your 2 years here as you would have a lot of time to remain busy your whole life. Cheers!!!!!!

2 comments:

Manish said...

aaarbiiittt bloooogggg daaa

Tanay said...

pure and simple crap..... don't waste time on reading this......instead, watch the youtube link of an incident mentioned in the previous blog