Saturday, December 13, 2008

How life turns

I am writing this blog sitting in the Airport lounge at Bengaluru. The last week had been quite eventful for me, both academically as well as non-academically with a plethora of quizzes and submissions on the academic side. On the non-academic side, I was involved in the organization of the inter-section sports meet and also some work for the section website to be designed.
One of our batchmates, Vishwa got married this Monday. Since it was a weekday none of us had been able to attend that but almost 20-25 of us had planned to go for the reception today. The train was to leave at 6am in the morning from the Bangalore City station. So, the plan was to leave at 4.30 from the campus. Some of us decided that it would be impossible to get up at 4.30 once we sleep so - a night out it was. We were playing '29', one of the most popular card games.

Then at 2.30, I get a call from my brother in Delhi. A call at this time could mean only one of the two things - either my number has been dialed by mistake (which happens very often as my name is the first in many people's phone books) or it had to be some very urgent news.

When I picked it up, I heard my brother's voice, so the first possibility was ruled out. He then informed me that our grandfather had passed away. Was I surprised? Maybe not, since he was already above 90 years of age and had not been in best of health for some time now. I immediately booked my ticket on the first flight out. Within 2 hours I reached the airport and was sitting in the lounge when I wanted to tell these things to someone but no one I know is awake at 5am. So, the blog came about.

Life has a strange way of showing the irony in life. I was to be a part of a celebration today and life turned me away and instead gave me the sad news. My mood changed from celebratory to mourning.

For as long as I remember, I had seen almost no change in his appearance. i can never forget those sessions of Rummie I sometimes had with him or his interest in cricket matches and all kinds of news. lately, he had not been keeping well health wise. He had a long and healthy life of over 90 years and I think passing away in his sleep was something that is better.

The airport display screen is showing now that my flight is ready for boarding.

Today I would pay my last respects to him.
Goodbye Grandpa!!!!

1 comment:

Manish said...

May God bless his soul...